This class has really taken me by suprise. The first week I absolutely hated the content and thought it had nothing to do with the reason why I was taking the class. As the weeks progressed I began to make the links to the SFL community. The class gave me insight on many things with in the SFL community that I do not think I would have been exposed to if it was not for being a recruitment guide.
I personaly thought it was cool to take the Strengths assessment. I love things like that! It really showed me things about myself that I normally would have just over looked. I thought that Claire sending out everyone's strengths was great. It was awesome to see how many different strengths people had and how they were all inter-related. Through out the class I also learned alot about social change. I never really thought change could be that complicated. I thought it was simple...Someone has a new idea....Get people to go along with the change...and BOOM change! ...Not that easy. Throught the social change model, I really learned how to falicate change and make it happen. It showed me how to make goals into reality. And as I am graduating in the spring, the change model can really be applied to other aspects of my life outside of the SFL community. I think it has been a usefully tool that I can have in my bag of tricks for the real world!
I really feel that I have not learned alot about my role as a recruitment guide. I still feel kind of in the dark about somethings, for example, what I am going to be doing each round at the houses..ect. I understand that most of those details can't be talked about because we dont have all the legistics figured out. I honeslty feel that this class has not prepared me for being a recruitment guide aside from the two classes we talked about PNM situations. I would have liked to have seen the course tie more into being a recuritment guide. Maybe Im just not seeing the big picture or something but yea I really can't make the connection to being a recruitment guide aside from going greek for these PNM's is a change and we talked about the social change model
I feel that I can show my sisters within my chapter how to better faliciate change and make it happen. I know through personal experience within the three years I have been in my chapter we have made leaps and bounds. We have done a total 180 from where we were when I joined. I found it cool to reflect back on changes that were made in my chapter and see if I could apply the things we learned about in class. For example, one change that was made was moving away from the fine system(where you get fined for not attending events) and moving to the points system. I know that it was a big struggle at first and was met with alot of opposition but once the change was made, everyone went along with it. I honestly think it has been a great move for my chapter and I feel that it has increased our retention rates.
Like I mentioned earlier this class gave me access to information about the SFL community that I would not have had access to. Through out this class it has been fun and awesome to see how close our group of 30 something women from different chapters can all work together and become like our own little sorority. I really have enjoyed meeting all of my classmates and loved getting to know them. I love walking down 15th or through the wexner center and seeing everyone. I think that our PHA fleeces make us standout more :) I loved to find out that I am not the only one who has some concerns with things within our community. The day we shared our changes we wanted to see was great! I thought it was interesting to see that many of us had the same concerns. Hopefully with the skills we have learned with this class we can falicilate those changes and make our community even stronger that it is!
As this quarter wraps up and we all kind of go our separate ways, I think that this experience in this class and being a recruitment guide has only made me fall in love with the Greek Community all over again. You know what I am talking about...right after you join and you get your first t-shirt with letters on it or go to your first TG....This class has only validated my decsion to go greek was one of the best things I have done at Ohio State.
I just wanted to say: Thanks everyone for your hard work..I know that we are going to do great things come formal recruitment !!! Have a wonderful break :)
No comments:
Post a Comment